Simple Storage Solutions for Art Aprons
Recently an AOE Fan asked:
“One of my top pet peeves that I haven’t figured out how to really solve is art smock storage. I have a smock box, but it doesn’t dry well enough sitting in the box. What kind of smock storage solutions have you seen?”
Great question! I asked around, and here are 5 smart smock solutions that might just work for ANY art teacher – so go ahead and try one out in your classroom right away!
1. Get some industrial hooks for the aprons to hang along the wall. This is my favorite solution. Can’t drill into the wall? Try some heavy duty 3M Command Hooks that won’t damage the wall.
2. Have each student bring their own from home, keep it in their classroom, and ask the classroom teacher to have students put them on before coming to art class (just like they do with athletic shoes before PE). Keep a few extras in your room, just in case.
3. Purchase a movable rack (like this Print Rack) and use it to drape your aprons after use. Roll it out of the way when you aren’t painting.
4. Hang a clothesline and have students clip them up.
5. Ditch smocks all together and instead have students choose if they want one or not. Instead, just have students roll up their sleeves, as this is the culprit of more paint and mess, we’ve found, and most smocks don’t even cover the sleeves.
I hope it helps you as you organize your classroom for the new year! For more organizational tips, be sure to browse everything we’ve ever written on Organization on AOE, right here!
What is the best way you have found to ‘Store your smocks’?
Share your secrets with us!